What new laws are affecting working parents? Which companies are providing flexibility and other accommodations? How is the workplace changing?
Keep reading to find legislative updates, supportive employers, inspirational stories, and more!
In the News…
Lack of Breastfeeding Support
1. Utah Women’s Conference Doesn’t Allow Moms to Breastfeed
Moms push back against BYU’s breastfeeding ban at conference
2. Indiana Legislators Unwilling to Support Pregnancy Accommodation Bill
Indiana pregnancy accommodation proposal unlikely to advance
(Tristate Homepage/Nexstar Media Group)
A bill supported by Governor Eric Holcomb would require Indiana business with over 15 employees to allow pregnant women longer breaks, reduced physical work, and unpaid time off after childbirth. However, the legislature has not shown support and it is unlikely to pass.
3. Baby at Work Policy (but not Paid Leave) in NH & VT
New Hampshire, Vermont adopt ‘Bring Baby to Work’ plans but lag on paid leave
4. California Teacher Influences School District to Provide Lactation Stations
Local Teacher Fights for Breastfeeding Rights
(The Paso Robles Press)
5. US Marine Corps General Recommends Paid Maternity Leave
Marines to Review Proposed 1-Year Maternity Leave Policy for New Moms
6. Nigeria’s Ekiti State Approves 6-Month Maternity Leave for Public Service Employees
Ekiti State’s worthy example
(The Sun Nigeria)
7. British Parliament Speaker Recommends Breastfeeding Accessibility
Breastfeeding In Commons May Be Allowed, Speaker Lindsay Hoyle Suggests
8. India Startup to Install 14 Breastfeeding Pods in Public Spaces
In a first, breastfeeding pods to be installed
(New Indian Express) I Love 9 Months
Infections Disease and Continued Breastfeeding
9. New Mothers and Midwives in the Democratic Republic of the Congo at Risk With Ebola Outbreak
Protecting midwives on the front lines of the Ebola response
(OCHA and ReliefWeb)
10. WHO and UNICEF Say Breastfeeding Benefits Moms and Babies Who Contract Coronavirus
Continuing to Nurse Your Baby Through Coronavirus (2019-nCoV; COVID-19) and Other Respiratory Infections
(La Leche League International)
Birth Inequality and Institutional Racism
11. New Book About Injustice and Racial Disparity in Breastfeeding
Andrea Freeman, Associate Professor of Law at University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, recently published a new book, Skimmed: Breastfeeding, Race and Injustice
(Stamford University Press)
From Breastfeeding To Beyoncé, ‘Skimmed’ Tells A New Story About Black Motherhood
(Health Shots NPR)
12. Midwives Speak Out on Black Maternal Mortality, Reproductive Justice, Birth Inequality, and Institutional Racism
What It’s Like to Be a Midwife or Doula Fighting Black Maternal Mortality
(Self Magazine) ROOTT (Restoring Our Own Through Transformation)
13. Nebraska Breastfeeding Educators Reach Out to Young Minority Moms
Breastfeeding class educates, creates community for teen mother
(KGIN-TV/1010now) Malone Community Center Breastfeeding Initiative
And Finally, Some Feel-Good News!
14. Photo of Chiropractic Office Employee with Her Baby at Work Goes Viral
Mom Brings Newborn To Work Then Boss Unknowingly Snaps Photo
(Shareably) Maryland Farms Chiropractic
See the original post here!
15. Venus Williams Shares Behind-the-Scenes Message for Working Mothers
Serena Williams Nails What It’s Like to Work Through Exhaustion as a Mom
(Working Mother Network)
Want to Connect?
Let’s discuss how to start a Lactation or Infant at Work program in your organization.
Fill out an online form to get the ball rolling.